Mental disorders can arise from various sources and with a combination of various factors. For all mental illnesses, stress, tension, fear and anxiety usually come as foundation stones. It can also arise from birth with or without changes in brain tissues (due to development delays or for unknown reasons). Mental disorders can be identified with two types of reactions.
- A normal reaction to abnormal events
- An abnormal reaction to normal events
In course of time, both these reactions can cause more and more difference in mind to react differently, i.e., some may get depressed with mental fatigue and some other may react violently with anger – reacting differently to first reaction can fade or go off slowly even without treatment (according to nature, adaptability of person and future environment/situations) whereas for the second one, it will usually flare up to an explosive situation unless properly cared for, consoled, counselled or treated.
One’s personality is influenced by thoughts, characters, behaviours, nature of bringing up and reactions to environment across situations and time. Further, feelings also differ from person to person according to their current status/circumstances. Normally, one can be observed as abnormal when many others’ decision conflicts with his view. That’s why many researchers/inventors are often shunned as mad during their initial days. Unless otherwise they attest their findings with results, they might not get recognition for their high intellect and will remain as ‘mad’ in others’ point of view. So, abnormal (?) mind is often identified because of reacting differently from others, and conflicting with the majority.
Psychiatric medicine has recently gained much importance in this tension-filled world. Labelling someone as mad just because he goes to a psychiatrist is old-fashioned. Taking counselling is very common now as everyone accepts it as a need for a consoling word or a shoulder to lean upon for having support during their period of suffering. Counselling should be done by a knowledgeable person or otherwise the sufferer may feel worse after the counselling. Mind disorders can be seen in all age groups, irrespective of sex. Following are a few common mind disorders which crop up in children.
Mind disorders in children
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - a developmental disorder characterised by distraction, inability to concentrate due to hyperactivity and sudden impulsive behaviour.
- Autism – is actually a syndrome where there are collection of disorders with lack of understanding, communication, social interaction and repetitive behaviour.
- Learning disorders - disorders related to listening, reading, writing, speaking and calculating ability.
- Mental retardation - a developmental disability with lack of daily living skills because of slow down or low intellectual functioning.
- Phobias – are intensified abnormal persistent fear of something which is unreasonable. For example, getting terrified of darkness, height or tall buildings, lifts, escalators, cockroaches, etc.
- Homesickness - is the distress caused by a feeling of longing with an actual or anticipated separation from home or parents. In course of time, it will be accompanied by anxiety and depression. It is commonly anticipated in children studying in hostel or youth studying or working in unfamiliar environments.
- Nightmare – getting distress with frightening dreams (with frequent awakenings)
Homeopathic approach – In dealing with children, children-friendly Homeopathy is matchless in efficiency. It treats everyone as a different individual and treats them according to their symptom presentations, constitutional make-up (mental and physical) and feelings. Homeopathy can support mind disorders in children to build attention, concentration, confidence, etc., by supporting the nerves and brain. Homeopathy stands tall with its classical individualisation and treatment. Homeopathy can help the brain in storing / sharing / interpreting things in memory. Homeopathy can act as an adjuvant and offer better stability for mind with emotional support. For any mind disorders, treatment should be availed of as early as possible or otherwise improvement will be very poor.
Homeopathic remedies commonly used for
- Phobias - Aspen, Arg Nit, Ars alb, Gels, Mimulus, Nux vom, Stramoninum, etc.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder / Autism / Learning disorders and Mental retardation – Baryta carb, Calc carb, Chestnut bud, Clematis, Pineal, Pituitary, Thyroidinum, etc.
- Dullness & depression – Baryta carb, Calc carb, Gentian, Horn beam, etc.
- Hopelessness & lack of self-confidence – Ambra grisea, Lachesis, Larch, Nat mur, Gorse, etc.
- Homesickness – Acid phos, Capsicum, Ignatia, Gels, Nux vom, Puls, etc.
These medicines should be taken under the advice and diagnosis of a Qualified Homeopath.
(To be contd)
for new hope
Dr S.CHIDAMBARANATHAN. M.D (Hom)
Website - www.drcheena.in
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
(Disclaimer - The contents of this column are for informational purpose only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional healthcare advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of healthcare professional for any health problem or medical condition.)